Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Crime writers helping Crooks

The price of postage just went up. That means you have stacks of useless stamps lying around. Sure, you could go to the post office and buy 1 cent stamps. You can try taping a penny next to it. You can be extremely lazy and wasteful and use two stamps instead of one.

Or you could donate those stamps to Books Through Bars, who mail books to prison inmates.


They also accept paperback books, but check the page for their criteria. They don't want old textbooks, they don't want your junk. However, they do want poetry anthologies. Now that a majority of older poetry is online in the public domain, you can clear up shelf space by sending them your Complete Poems of John Donne...

I mailed them our old wedding stamps, and I'll be clearing my shelves of books I haven't cracked open in a decade.

© 2011 Thomas Pluck

3 comments:

Les Edgerton said...

This is a great cause! I didn't know there was an organization to do this, but believe me, men and women behind bars will be grateful beyond belief. When I was in the joint at Pendleton, our "library" was pathetic--mostly coverless copies of Zane Grey novels (inmates steal the covers to put on their walls... don't ask me the attraction of Western covers unless there's a babe on the cover... I hope that was it and not that they were attracted to cows...). I take a load of old books down with me whenever I visit my "alma mater" and over the years I've gotten tons of letters from inmates who expressed their gratitude.

Thank you so much, Tom, for bringing this to our attention!

Thomas Pluck said...

Thanks, Les. Glad to know this helps.

Sabrina Ogden said...

Wow! What a great idea. I've actually got some poetry books that they would like. I'll have to pack them up and ship them out! Thanks for the information.

Post a Comment

And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

disclaimers of legal bull shitte

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

All writing © 2011 Thomas Pluck and may only be reprinted with express written permission of the author. You may link to pages at will. If you wish to repost anything on your website you must contact Thomas Pluck using the contact form. Thank you for your cooperation. -Robocop