Friday, August 5, 2011

Shogun Honey

Art by Derek Chatwood, prints available at PopRelics
Inspiration can come from anywhere. My friend Sabrina Ogden, book reviewer extraordinaire, made a typo on twitter. She'd meant to mention the great online short fiction site Shotgun Honey- not coincidentally the host of my first fiction publication- but instead, she typed "shogun honey."

And me being me, I made a joke, saying they should do a week of all samurai fiction. (Samurai Fiction, by the way, is a great movie you ought to rent right now). She seemed dubious, and I came up with the first line of the story in a flash of inspiration, limited by twitter's 140 character limit. I used to sneer when my poetry teacher, Rachel Hadas, said the limitations of form made you a better writer, but twitter and flash fiction have helped me follow Strunk's law, "omit needless words," which will make anyone a better writer.

Sabrina loved the line and asked me to keep writing. A few days later I had written "Shogun Honey," and while far from a masterpiece, it was a lot of fun to write, and I hope you like it. It begins:
Ishikari took the job for three rice balls a day and a dry place to sleep. By dark, he’d wished he drowned and starved. 

read the rest at Shogun Honey... I mean Shotgun Honey.





© 2011 Thomas Pluck

2 comments:

darkanddemure said...

Gorgeous first line, Tommy.

Chris said...

Loved it. Nice work, sir.

Post a Comment

And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

disclaimers of legal bull shitte

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

All writing © 2011 Thomas Pluck and may only be reprinted with express written permission of the author. You may link to pages at will. If you wish to repost anything on your website you must contact Thomas Pluck using the contact form. Thank you for your cooperation. -Robocop