Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bury the Hatchet


I'm going to buckle down and begin the brutal revision of my first draft- essentially a rewrite- this weekend. I've been writing stories to put it off, tossing ideas in my mind. The structure of past and present is giving me trouble, but I know both stories are ready, so I will do them as I go, and re-order things later to make them line up. One storyline deals with kids in the '80s dealing with a violent bully. The present deals with the kid who went to jail for his murder getting out, and going after the people who coerced him into taking the fall.
I took advice from my friend Josh Stallings and put together a soundtrack to listen to. These songs are all pretty generic. Not the deep tracks I used to put on my cooler of mix tapes that sat in the back of the Mustang. But they evoke the era and the feeling I want to convey, of a man who's been in prison since he was fourteen years old getting out. He's not a caveman puzzled by technology, but he has a soul that died 25 years ago, and the soundtrack in his heart ain't gonna be Death Cab for Cutie... when he decides to settle a twenty five year old grudge and bury the hatchet.

"Back in Black" - AC/DC
"Electric Avenue" - Eddy Grant
"Don't Change" - INXS
"Sharp Dressed Man" - ZZ Top
"Centerfold" - J.Geils Band
"Born on the Bayou" - Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - Rolling Stones
"Queen of Hearts" - Juice Newton
"Excitable Boy" - Warren Zevon
"Through Being Cool" - Devo
"Behind Blue Eyes" - The Who
"Jump" - Van Halen
"Bad Reputation" - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
"Devil Inside" - INXS
"Rebel Yell" - Billy Idol
"Hair of the Dog" - Nazareth
"In Between Days" - The Cure
"Sweet Child O' Mine" - Guns 'N Roses
"Wishing (I Had a Photograph of You)" - A Flock of Seagulls
"You May Be Right" - Billy Joel
"The Midnight Special" - Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Our Lips Are Sealed" - The Go-Gos
"Movin' Out" - Billy Joel
"Blitzkrieg Bop" - Ramones
"Ramble On" - Led Zeppelin ... this one is put to The Hobbit animated film, pretty amusing.
"State Trooper" - Bruce Springsteen
"Big Shot" - Billy Joel
"Problem Child" - AC/DC
"Breaking the Law" - Judas Priest
"The Indifference of Heaven" - Warren Zevon
"Livin' on a Prayer" - Bon Jovi (I fucking hate Bon Jovi, but there is a scene at a reunion where a song of theirs would be played, and this is the only one I can tolerate)
"Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival
"(What's So Funny About) Peace Love & Understanding" - Elvis Costello because I am an ironic plucker.
"Dreaming" - Blondie
"Ace of Spades" - Motorhead (great video set to Bullitt chase)

© 2011 Thomas Pluck

3 comments:

Shotgun Honey said...

Okay, that's quite the list of music. I'm a lover of AC/DC so... I've no doubt you'll find the inspiration you need from this soundtrack! Wootz~

Action Flick Chick said...

Productivity - yeah!!!

Chad said...

I always listen to music when I write.

That's a great song list.

Bon Jovi needs beaten, driven out to the Shore and told, at gunpoint, to start walking.

Post a Comment

And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

disclaimers of legal bull shitte

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

All writing © 2011 Thomas Pluck and may only be reprinted with express written permission of the author. You may link to pages at will. If you wish to repost anything on your website you must contact Thomas Pluck using the contact form. Thank you for your cooperation. -Robocop