Monday, December 13, 2010

Twitter Celebs

There are a lot of celebrities on Twitter. Sometimes half the news is who said what. I follow a few celebrities, and I often send them replies, as a joke, mostly. A few times I've gotten replies, most often from Jennifer Ehle (of "Pride & Prejudice" fame) Adam Richman from Man vs. Food, and a few others.

I'd say the "biggest" name who's gotten back to me is Carl Weathers, the actor from the Rocky films, Predator, Action Jackson, and of course, his unforgettable comic turn on "Arrested Development."

A while back, I wrote a post about my "uncle" Tony Maffatone, who had performed executive security for some celebrities, such as Sylvester Stallone and Dolly Parton. Once Stallone got on Twitter to promote The Expendables, I noticed that he responded to some of his fans, so I tried to tell him that his former bodyguard, who had done stunts and knife training for some of his films, and had a small role in Rocky IV, had died in 1999. I knew they had had a falling out of some kind. My father only knew it second hand and said that Stallone was trying to run his own security detail, but I have no confirmation of whether that is true. Tony has passed on, and I don't know how to contact his partner, known as "big Tony," and I doubt he'd want to bring up yesterday's news. Does it matter?

Well, Sly never responded to me. Not surprising. It's not something I could expect a big name star to want to talk about. I stopped following him when he started making conspiracy-minded tweets that rubbed me the wrong way. He's been MIA on Twitter now that the Expendables DVD release is over.

However, I do follow someone else on Twitter who was in a movie with my uncle Tony. Carl Weathers was in Rocky IV, too. And he'd replied to me months ago, when I made a joke about his "predator handshake" with Arnold Schwarzenegger being the manliest form of greeting ever devised. So I talked to him about Tony.

And to my surprise, he asked if I meant "big Tony" or "little Tony," as they were known, because my uncle was a diver and marathon runner, making him the skinny one. He remembered. And he said all that needed to be said, that Tony was a stand-up guy, and may he rest in peace. Carl is a nice guy, and while he's done tough guy roles almost exclusively, he does it in a way that commands respect. Apollo Creed wasn't just a champ, he was a businessman; Dillon wasn't just muscle, he was a shrewd operator. And you get that sharp intellect just from one look.

His reply took seconds, but it meant a lot to me.

I want to thank my blogger buddy Darius Whiteplume from Adventures in Nerdliness for posting his own twitter conversation with Carl, which inspired me to do this one.

© 2010 Tommy Salami

Post a Comment

And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

disclaimers of legal bull shitte

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

All writing © 2011 Thomas Pluck and may only be reprinted with express written permission of the author. You may link to pages at will. If you wish to repost anything on your website you must contact Thomas Pluck using the contact form. Thank you for your cooperation. -Robocop