Thursday, September 16, 2010

Arthur's Tavern - Steak


Arthur's Tavern is a New Jersey steak institution that until recently, I had shamefully never experienced. And boy, do I regret it. I grew up going to Steve's Sizzling Steaks and Alexus Steakhouse for my steaks, and they rightfully draw a big crowd- it's hard to beat Alexus's hefty Delmonico for the price, and Steve's has been searing beef slathered with Maggi sauce since 1936, and doing it well. But I'm sorry guys, the 24 ounce Steak at Arthur's for $21.95 bests you. Undisputed.

The two inch thick slab of steakasaurus is perfectly seared, giving it a lovely char crust and a juicy interior. The flavor is beefy and plentiful. I could eat only half of it, and the rest became the best Sunday steak & eggs I've had in a long time. They do a fantastic job for the price. I prefer the Maggi-soaked steak fries at Steve's, but the paprika-laden roast red potatoes and hot cherry pepper were a welcome side. The a la carte creamed spinach was all I could ask for- cheesy, rich, perfect consistency. The table comes garnished with slaw, pickles and pickled green tomatoes and green peppers. There's your vegetables- old school. Firecracker had the junior 12 ounce sirloin and it also came done perfectly.

We went to the Morris Plains location, where they serve Smithwick's on draft- the classic Irish red ale- and Guinness, two perfect steak chaperons. I've found my new favorite mid-range steakhouse, and Arthur's is it. They also sell a 48 ounce version of their monster steak. I know where I'm dragging Pete & Pete after our next hard workout.

© 2010 Tommy Salami

Post a Comment

And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

disclaimers of legal bull shitte

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

All writing © 2011 Thomas Pluck and may only be reprinted with express written permission of the author. You may link to pages at will. If you wish to repost anything on your website you must contact Thomas Pluck using the contact form. Thank you for your cooperation. -Robocop