Sunday, September 20, 2009

Kobe Dogs & a man with a 68" cucuzza

Let's go by phallic measurement, or pecking order if you will. Click the image above to see the article and the guy who grew a cucuzza- an Italian squash, and euphemism for his sazeech, his gabadone, his pistole- that was as tall as he was. Of course, the guy's name is Ben Longo. Yes, look at Longo's enormous cucuzza.

Cucuzza are relatively tasteless like large zucchini, but when cooked in a tomato based sauce with hot peppers, sort of like ratatouille, they are excellent and absorb all the flavors. They look like a lime green baseball bat and if you see them at your local farmer's market, give them a try.
Next, I finally had a "Kobe" hot dog. I highly doubt that high quality wagyu beef was used in these. I had them at Legends, the sports bar in the mid-30s that shows the LSU football games in Manhattan. They were good hot dogs, admittedly, but no better than some non-Kobe franks I've had. In fact, they tasted like Hebrew National. I've avoided Kobe sliders and franks because of this; it's like using Beluga caviar to make an omelet, or top shelf liquor for most mixed drinks- you're not going to taste the difference. I sure didn't. I liked them, but the Usinger's hot dog at Big Daddy's is more memorable. If I want "Kobe" or wagyu I want it rare and mostly untouched. Sorry I'm singling out Legends- they're a good bar with a good menu, and this was hardly a bad meal. It's just endemic of the Manhattan bar food world, that "Kobe sliders" are used to sucker people in, when a good bit of ground chuck cooked right would taste nearly as good, without the caché.
Firecracker got a crockpot and made some kick-ass pulled pork, which we turned into Memphis style BBQ sandwiches. I brought the corn! I do cook, and made bacon-wrapped hotdogs recently- photos will be shared soon. This was some really good BBQ. If you love you some pork, a crockpot is definitely a must. Make your own!
Another time, for breakfast, my girl made me waffles. Isn't she the best? I made the bacon and eggs- cooked in the bacon fat, of course- and decided to make a breakfast sandwich out of them. Now, am I the first guy to think of this? I've had ice cream sandwiches made of waffles, but it makes you wonder why more breakfast sandwiches aren't made this way. I once made a peanut butter and honey sandwich out of Egg-Os, and I heartily recommend using waffles as bread. The honeycomb structure is ideal for collecting drips of egg yolk, as well as the standard maple syrup. Give it a try.

1 comments:

firecracker said...

i put peanut butter on eggos quite frequently..with grape jelly sometimes.

Post a Comment

And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

disclaimers of legal bull shitte

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

All writing © 2011 Thomas Pluck and may only be reprinted with express written permission of the author. You may link to pages at will. If you wish to repost anything on your website you must contact Thomas Pluck using the contact form. Thank you for your cooperation. -Robocop