Saturday, July 4, 2009

Dogfish Head Brewery & Eats

How did I forget to write about our trip to Dogfish Head Brewery over the Memorial Day weekend? It was a busy weekend. I was busy at work and couldn't write during lunch. But let me tell you, if you're ever in Rehoboth Beach Delaware, or a short ferry ride away in Cape May, you ought to stop by the Dogfish Head Brewpub for some delicious pub grub and fantastic brews.
Behold their shrimp pesto pizza. Fresh tasting and delicious, the shrimp not overcooked. It went well with the casked 75-minute IPA they were serving. It was a mix of their better-known 60 and 90 minute IPAs. Get it? The Chicory Stout was outstanding, one of the best coffee stouts I've ever had. It was a bit strong with the pizza, but smooth enough for a hot summer day.
The crab dip appetizer was fittingly fine for a seashore venue. The only disappointment is that not too many of their specialty brews are available on tap. Sure, there's a variety- like the tasty Festina Peche, and the fantastically flavorful Palo Alto San Marron unfiltered brown ale- but I've sampled them all in bottles already. I was really hoping for some keg-only stuff or their wilder concoctions like the Black & Blue Berry Belgian Ale. I snagged a 750ml of it for take-home, and it's one of the best fruit beers I've had. A bit too sweet, more of a dessert beer than let's say, Sweetwater Blue from Atlanta. Not as refreshing as Abita Strawberry Lager. I'd class it with Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock, for dessert drinking.
Dogfish Head is one of my favorite craft brewers, and I wish their pub was closer so I could frequent it and taste their rarities. They have a distillery upstairs and craft flavored vodkas and gins up there, also available for drinking at the pub. I had a long drive to D.C., so I stuck with the beer. However, this is a neighborhood gem, and if you're in the area it's worth a side trip if you love beer. Next time we tour the actual brewery. You need to get tickets on their website, so don't show up empty handed.

Post a Comment

And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

disclaimers of legal bull shitte

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

All writing © 2011 Thomas Pluck and may only be reprinted with express written permission of the author. You may link to pages at will. If you wish to repost anything on your website you must contact Thomas Pluck using the contact form. Thank you for your cooperation. -Robocop