Friday, July 4, 2008

Coney Island Hot Dog Contest - A Great Day for America

Two champs in combat

Joey "Jaws" Chestnut defeated Takeru "Tsunami" Kobayashi after they tied, eating 59 hot dogs each in 10 minutes, in the Nathan's Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest. There was an eat-off, 5 dogs each, and Chestnut finished quicker, cinching the win.


Some other contestants in all their glory

Kobayashi is a colorful and charismatic athlete, but on July 4th I do feel a twinge of pride knowing that an American has the title for eating the quintessential American food, the Coney Island hot dog.
The thrill of victory and the agony of a distended bowel

Even though I love eating, and love hot dogs, I can't really follow this type of thing as a sport. For one, it's pretty disgusting to watch. Nathan's is one of the holiest hot dog cathedrals, and they make a great dog, but I don't want to see someone eat 60 of them dunked in water. I don't think I could eat one if I saw it in person. Even now I'm sort of iffy on my usual 2 dogs 1 burger July 4th repast. I think 1 dog might be enough.

Who am I kidding? Gimme 3 hot dogs and a bucket of tater salad! Go America!!



The finale

Post a Comment

And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

disclaimers of legal bull shitte

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

All writing © 2011 Thomas Pluck and may only be reprinted with express written permission of the author. You may link to pages at will. If you wish to repost anything on your website you must contact Thomas Pluck using the contact form. Thank you for your cooperation. -Robocop